Friday, September 25, 2009

Reunions in Whistler!



I just got back from the GoMedia conference in Whistler and I have to wonder why I waited so long to make a return voyage (last visit circa 2006). It was fantastic. The place is just abuzz with outdoor adventure, not to mention Olympic Spirit. In particular, the Peak 2 Peak gondola was amazing! (Did you know that it has the longest unsupported span for a lift of this kind in the world?) If you're afraid of heights, get ready to freak! (But go on it anyways, it's so cool.)

What also made the conference so much fun was reuniting with some chickas who I spent much time carvorting and laughing my ass off with on previous adventures.

As soon as I set down my luggage at the lovely Fairmont Chateau Whistler, I was delighted to find out that Liz, one of my kindred spirits whom I met in Newfoundland last summer, was going to be my partner in crime as I tried my hand at some of Whistler's thrillseeking activities. It was actually kind of appalling how quickly we began cracking each other up just as we had on "The Rock." (If you're wondering what that trip was all about, have a boo at my earlier post.)


Next up were my girls from TO--Amy and Heather. It was one year ago when we took part in the Naramata Unfiltered program in the Okanagan. It was the only time wine pairing ever made sense to me, thanks to the ingenuity and efforts of Master-of-Wine in the making, Rhys Pender, and the wonderful wineries of the Naramata Bench. It didn't take long for us to reminisce over our time spent sampling the wines of these amazing vintners and trying to create our own blends. Amy was quick to point out how fantastic her blend was, and much to my chagrin, she was right. (For those of you who know Amy, you know she's not competitive at all!) You can read more about the program, which is presently on hiatus until Spring 2010, in my Avenue Calgary article posted on Tourism Penticton's website.

This time around, I had no wine to blame for the hilarity that ensued. Two words: dance-off. If I had known that we were going to wind up in such a situation, I would have brought my converse sneaks and a piece of cardboard. Break it down, yo! Nevertheless, I held my own, and put in a solid performance worthy of SYTYCD.

All in all, it was a jampacked networking bonanza that has become an annual highlight in my calendar. My stomach still hurts from laughing. Or maybe it was all the food...

No comments:

Post a Comment